My experience has taught me that whether you are young or old it is never too late to start taking piano lessons whether as a hobby or for professional purposes.
So why take piano lessons?
1) To express your creativity - One can compose their own music to express various emotions and feelings. Learning the piano will help one compose since one knows the various keys and the sound they make.
2) Music is fun - Even the grumpiest of people feels their mood elevated by music. Music makes one want to dance and sing. It gets one's mind busy and they stop thinking about their problems. Learning new things also makes one happy. You feel accomplished and happy when you know new things. It also bring a feeling of satisfaction.
3) It builds discipline and patience- before one can play the piano they have to learn the keys well. This requires patience and discipline. It also keeps one busy and keeps them away from trouble .Also one has to keep practicing and this requires perseverance thus building discipline.
4) It builds self esteem and confidence-Once one learns how to play the piano and becomes good at it they become confident because you feel like you have accomplished something even when one learn one new skill. Also performing what they have learnt in front of people and being applauded or encouraged builds confidence.
5) It increases IQ and improves academic performance- Learning the piano involves memorizing the keys and learning the sounds they make. Then to be good at it one has to keep practicing. This opens up the child's mind, which helps academically in school.
6) Become a star- Playing the piano might not make one as famous as other instruments such as the guitar or give such high returns but one can perform on stage for other lovers of piano music. One never knows maybe you could become the next Mozart or any other big composer.
7) The piano is easy to learn- Even before one can learn the keys they can press various keys and produce sound. They can learn various tunes just by pressing the keys.
8) It develops physical skill such as flexibility and coordination. While playing the piano one has to press keys in various directions, which requires flexible fingers and they should be well coordinated so as to press the right keys.
So no matter how old you are give it a try. You are never too old for some fun. Give piano lessons a try. You wont be disappointed.